Traverse City Masssage
DISCOVER Massage Like Never Before!
At DISCOVER Massage in Traverse City, it’s all about you! Your massage experience begins from the minute you walk in the door, to the moment you leave. We offer different types of sound environments you can listen to during your treatment as well as a wonderful selection of essential oil fragrances.
We take the GUESS WORK OUT!
Have you ever wondered what type of massage would be most beneficial for you? Well you are not alone and the good news is we don’t expect YOU to figure it out. Our massage therapists tailor each treatment individually for you by selecting several different techniques from the massages listed below. During your consultation they will assess your needs and formulate a treatment plan for you. No cookie cutter or robotic massages here at DISCOVER Massage Specialists, everyone gets an individually customized massage.
Simply click HERE if you would like to book an appointment with us online.
- Clinical Massage — Clinical massage is a tailored treatment for what the patient is feeling at that moment. By working with a chiropractor’s suggestion, this type of massage can muscularly re-align your body to an anatomically correct posture. It may include medical folding (putting the body into pain free positions) in order to massage the area without discomfort to the deepest tissue for that particular person’s needs. It works the muscles according to their shape, and thus provides a quick range of motion recovery for the patient. Click here for more details.
- Deep Tissue Massage — Deep tissue massage targets the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue. The massage therapist uses slower strokes or friction techniques across the grain of the muscle. Deep tissue massage is used for chronically tight or painful muscles, repetitive strain, postural problems, or recovery from injury. Click here for more information.
- Shiatsu — Shiatsu massage is a form of Japanese bodywork that uses localized finger pressure in a rhythmic sequence on acupuncture meridians. Each point is held for two to eight seconds to improve the flow of energy and help the body regain balance. People are normally pleasantly surprised when they try shiatsu for the first time. It is relaxing yet the pressure is firm, and there is usually no soreness afterwards.
- Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy — Ashiatsu Oriental Bar Therapy is performed on a massage table. During treatment, the therapist, supported by parallel wooden bars suspended from the ceiling, applies deep foot pressure to strategic points along the spine and body to achieve maximum muscle compression. Ashiatsu’s one and two-footed strokes distribute pressure evenly over a large area of the body, thereby providing a deep yet relaxing massage.
- Pregnancy Massage — Also called prenatal massage, pregnancy massage is becoming increasingly popular with expectant mothers. Massage therapists who are certified in pregnancy massage know the proper way to position and support the woman’s body during the massage, and how to modify techniques. Pregnancy massage is used to reduce stress, decrease swelling, relieve aches and pains, and reduce anxiety and depression. The massage is customized to a woman’s individual needs.
- Sports Massage— Sports massage is specifically designed for people who are involved in physical activity. But you don’t have to be a professional athlete to have one, it’s also used by people who are active and work out often. The focus isn’t on relaxation but on preventing and treating injury and enhancing athletic performance. The strokes are generally faster than Swedish massage. Facilitated stretching is a common technique. It helps to loosen muscles and increase flexibility. Click here to learn more.
- Reflexology — Although reflexology is sometimes called foot massage, it is more than simple foot massage. Reflexology involves applying pressure to certain points on the foot that correspond to organs and systems in the body. Reflexology is very relaxing, especially for people who stand on their feet all day or just have tired, achy feet.
Don’t forget you can always have a “massage date” in Traverse City with a friend or loved one. We would be happy to schedule your couples massages at the same time and in the same room or separate rooms so you can go have lunch together afterwards. There are very few ways to have a more relaxing, enjoyable day.