Therapeutic Grade Aromatherapy Benefits
Aromatherapy is the use of aromatic essential oils for body healing purposes. The essential oils come from petals, roots, leaves, twigs, buds, resin, fruit, and wood bark, depending on the plant.
In 1000 A.D., Avicenna from Arabia was the first man on record to distill rose essence for use in aromatherapy. It was widely used by the Greeks and Romans in rituals, baths, and massages. Antitoxic essential oils are important for treating insect stings and bites. Some essential oils help carry away metabolic waste and others are hormone precursors.
Therapeutic-grade aromatherapy comes in different forms, depending upon what you want to achieve. It often is used to alleviate depression and anxiety and increase alertness.
Therapeutic-grade aromatherapy is most effective when used in combination with massage. A massage ensures the essential oils being used find their way deep inside the skin so they can reach the bloodstream. You will accomplish twice as much when you incorporate aromatherapy/essential oils into your massage since you also will enjoy the massage’s benefits, such as pain and tension reduction, relaxation, and stress reduction.
Going to a massage therapist for therapeutic-grade aromatherapy also is advantageous because you will get valuable information. For example, you will learn you should avoid rosemary, sage, thyme, and hyssop if you have high blood pressure. You also will be advised against some essential oils if you are undergoing radiation and chemotherapy, since they could be toxic. There are also specific oils you should avoid if you are pregnant.
Below is a list of just a few examples of some aromatherapy essential oils and their benefits:
• Lavender has antiviral and antibacterial properties. It boosts the immune system, is an antidepressant, and has anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
• Tea tree has antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-yeast properties.
• Peppermint aids digestion and is a stimulant, an antiseptic, and a decongestant. It also is effective in clearing sinuses.
• Eucalyptus is an effective decongestant, a stimulant and has antibacterial and antiviral properties.
• Geranium helps balance the mind and the body. It also has anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties.
Discover Massage Specialists has 35 of its own private label therapeutic-grade essential oils available through our online store and at our Traverse City, Michigan location. Please contact us if you have any questions about which aromatherapy would most benefit you, or click here to see a full description of all of them.